Ethics Consultation Services
Good Advance Care Planning can help to assure that a person’s wishes are known and respected when serious illness, traumatic accidents or life threatening events happen. Advance Directives help loved ones to know and honor a person’s wishes. These documents can be used to assign a legal decision maker should the individual completing the form be unable to speak for themselves.
Having the conversation and learning to have the conversation about one’s preferences when before serious or life threatening illness occurs, is often perceived as uncomfortable. This leaves individual’s wishes unspoken and loved ones left to make difficult choices.
- Diverse Perspectives provides staff training regarding Advance Care Planning, including Power of Attorney for Healthcare, Advance Care Directives and POLST. These programs will teach ways to approach the topics, ways to have conversations and discuss the issues, in the context of an individual’s beliefs and values. Trainings include resources and tools to guide conversations.
- Diverse Perspectives can assist with the development of a comprehensive Advance Care Planning program for your organization, with policies, and procedures that include follow through and documentation.
- Diverse Perspectives specializes in working with persons, populations and communities, who may not usually have these conversations, or distrust the health care system.
End-of-life decisions can raise a wide variety of issues for staff and loved ones. These range from issues with denial, unresolved matters with loved ones, differing values and or religious beliefs, lack of understanding of how we die, and what the limitations of what the medical world can do to forstall death.
- Diverse Perspectives offers consultation with loved ones, to help designated decision makers work through these concerns and come to decisions that respect the dignity of the person dying. Meg can help loved ones identify the goals of treatment and articulate questions which in a medical environment they may not understand.
- Diverse Perspectives offers concurrent case consultation, as well as retrospective review of difficult cases which have caused ethical dilemmas for the professional healthcare team.
- Diverse Perspectives offers education regarding alternate world views; ethnic, cultural and religious beliefs which may effect and impact end-of-life decision making.
- Diverse Perspectives offers training to healthcare professionals which provide techniques and tools for end-of-life discussions and decision making.
Making decisions about the vast array of treatments and procedures may be difficult and cause significant dilemmas for professional medical staff, patients and their loved ones. Becoming aware of one’s own values and learning to hear the perspectives of others involved can be the pivot point in helping patients and their loved ones make decisions which are coherent and in keeping with their religious, cultural, and or ethnic values.
- Diverse Perspectives provides assistance to patients and their loved ones as they attempt to navigate the healthcare decision. Meg can help them identify the questions they should be asking, their own goals of treatment.
Everyone brings to their work their own world view. They encounter diverse perspectives and points of view in the way they interact, in their decision making with other staff and with their clientele, be they patients or residents. The diversity may be ethnic, cultural, faith based, gender differences, or even related to the way people, look, dress, or speak.
Diverse Perspectives offers trainings which help staff understand their own world views and values, so that they can be more sensitive to others and listen with care and humility to different voices.
These programs are available in 1 hour, 4 hour and day long formats. Each, of course, with respective ability to facilitate change and impact outcomes.
Diverse Perspectives also offers comprehensive development of programs and in-services to change the way staff in your organization approach and think about “the other.”
Diverse Perspectives offers a wide variety of educational programs, and in-service trainings. These include but are not limited to:
Advance Care Planning
- Having “The Conversation” with persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
- Having “The Conversation” with persons with Mental Illness
- Having “The Conversation” with persons from other cultures, ethnic backgrounds and faith traditions.
- Having “The Conversation” with general patient, resident popultations.
Clinical Medical Ethics Issues with special populations
- Clinical Medical Ethics issues related to the care and treatment of persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
- Alternate world views in geriatric care
- Understanding and determining decision-making capacity
- “Quality of Life” and understanding its diverse meanings
- Medical ethics in geriatric care
- Clinical ethics across the life span
- The impact of family values and beliefs on healthcare decision making
- Empowering women’s healthcare choices
- Diverse perspectives, ethnic/cultural/faith approaches to mental health
- Understanding space, touch and time in diverse world views and perspectives
- DNAR in the surgical suite
- Sorting through ethical dilemmas
- Advance Care Planning
- Brain death and organ donation
- Patient’s Rights
Educational programs can be one hour, three hour or day long programs. They may be combined with policy and procedure development processes.
Diverse Perspectives can guide your team through the process of developing policies & procedures and their implementation, related to Patient’s Rights, Advance Care Planning, Respecting Diversity, and DNAR during procedures.
Programs are developed with staff input and investment, in keeping with the philosophy that change happens at ground level. Projects involve a multidisciplinary, multi-level approach to all new policies and procedures.
Helping the organization to establishing base-line date, documentation of process and careful measurement of change and improvements is an integral part of this service.